If the 8th Amendment is harming women, why are the vast majority of doctors not supporting Repeal?

WATCH: GP of 22 years practice, Dr. Marie Therese McKenna, explain.

Contrary to what Together for Yes are claiming, most medical professionals are not campaigning for repeal

8 Medical Facts you should know read before you vote on the 8th Amendment.

The division within the medical community on whether to repeal or save the 8th Amendment must be confusing for many voters. As the debate heats up, it’s important to look beyond campaign slogans and acknowledge some impartial facts from impartial experts.

Royal College of Physicians: Neutral

The Royal College of Physicians in Ireland (RCPI) has a neutral position on the 8th Amendment and will not be campaigning for or against its removal.

This was confirmed by the current president of RCPI Dr Mary Horgan who said that the RCPI “does not have a position on the forthcoming referendum”.

Irish College of General Practitioners: Neutral

The Irish College of General Practitioners (ICGP) has a neutral position on the 8th Amendment. Acknowledging that there is a range of views across its membership its current Chairman, Dr John Gillman said it would not adopt a formal policy position in relation to the referendum.

Institute of Obstetricians and Gynecologists: Confused

The Institute of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, which is chaired by Yes campaigner Dr Peter Boylan, is pro-repeal of the 8th Amendment. However, this was not formally agreed by an overall majority of Obstetricians, rather by a small group of executive members, who make up around 10% of the total number of Obstetricians in the institute.

Will the real Dr. Boylan please stand down.

15 Consultant Obstetricians have asked that Dr Peter Boylan to refrain from public advocacy on this issue. Acknowledging that there is a diversity of opinion amongst their colleagues, they have appealed for the Institute to remain neutral and not campaign on either side. They furthermore ask Dr Boylan to step aside as chairperson should he feel personally obliged to campaign for a Yes vote.

There's even a petition »

Some really good doctors think Boylan should withdraw some statements.

Five former Chairs of the Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists have also called on Dr Peter Boylan and others to withdraw statements they’ve made which suggest women are not receiving appropriate maternal healthcare under the 8th Amendment. In open letter they say that “Ireland is a very safe country in which to be pregnant” and that the upcoming referendum is “not about maternal healthcare”.

Still have a petition »

That abortion isn't healthcare.

Consultant Obstetrician and Dean of Professional Competence at the RCPI Dr Mary Holohan who has been neutral during the campaign on the 8th Amendment has also put it on public record that the medical needs of the mother during pregnancy do not require removal of the 8th Amendment and that “there appears to be a campaign strategy to create a contrary impression in the eyes of the public”.

That the 8th has no impact on maternal health.

Consultant Obstetrician Dr Michael O’Hare, who is Chairman of the HSE Working Group on Maternal Mortality, and who has remained neutral on this issue by not campaigning on either side, has stated that the 8th Amendment has had no impact on maternal mortality (death) or morbidity (illness) in Ireland.

Most doctors are pro-life, or are neutral.

Only about 5% of the all registered medical practitioners in Ireland have chosen to get involved with the campaign to repeal the 8th Amendment. The other 95% are either pro life or have chosen to remain neutral on this issue.


Contrary to what Together for Yes claim, the vast majority of doctors, medical professionals and medical professional bodies, are NOT campaigning for repeal

Ready to Vote No?

Join in the HUGE mobilisation movement to get the NO vote we need on Friday.

Make your plan to vote TODAY.